TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - The inmates and staff at the Tippecanoe County Jail got a special surprise Wednesday morning. Christmas Behind Bars stopped by the jail.
It's a Christian ministry non profit that brings care packages to inmates and jail staff. Sheriff Bob Goldsmith said this is the tenth year that the organization has come to the Tippecanoe County Jail.
They dropped off more than 500 care packages that had a Christmas card, reading material and food items. Sheriff Goldsmith said this helps lift the sometimes somber feelings around the jail this time of year.
"Anything that can maybe lift some spirits at this time for them and an organization like this that's showing them that there are people who care," he said.
Sheriff Goldsmith said they had extra packages left over. So he called the Sheriff in Warren County and they brought the rest of the packages to that jail.
- Tippecanoe County inmates and jail staff get Christmas care packages
- Authorities investigate Tippecanoe County Jail inmate's death
- Tippecanoe County Jail scans more than inmates
- Man attacks fellow inmate in Tippecanoe County Jail
- More reading options for Tippecanoe County Jail inmates
- Tippecanoe County Jail inmate dies after falling unconscious
- Jail inmates help send holiday packages to soldiers overseas
- Tippecanoe County Jail getting new captain
- Two Tippecanoe County Jail inmates die from unrelated medical issues on same day
- Coroner releases cause of death of Tippecanoe County jail inmates who died on same day