INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WLFI) - Each day, the Indiana state fair is recognizing farming families from across the state. Today, a Tippecanoe county family took center stage.
Farming has been a vital part of the Verhey family for decades. Opened in 1988, Verhey Ag. Production has seen three generations of ownership.
Roger Verhey is the owner of the farm and is excited to have been selected. "We're honored to be part of that because it's hard for farmers to tell their story. We don't get off the farm very often to do that, but we should probably do that more and get the facts out there not necessarily the fiction," said Roger.
The family was selected as one of only a handful of farming families to be recognized at the fair. Cody Verhey runs the livestock portion of the farm. He couldn't believe they were selected. "I don't know how they went through it and did the selecting process. I'm not real sure what we did right, but obviously, we did something right. It's kind of nice knowing someone out there has seen it I guess," said Cody.
The family specializes in soy and corn, but they also have more than 8,000 hogs as part of the livestock part of their farm. They believe their recognition should celebrate all farmers within Tippecanoe County. "I would say that Tippecanoe county must be doing fairly decent. We're doing alright and I'm sure there are other farmers doing just as good," added Cody Verhey.
As the Verheys celebrate the farms 30th year of success, their day at the fair makes the accomplishment all the more special.
- Tippecanoe County family recognized at state fair
- Benton County family recognized at State Fair
- 2019 Tippecanoe County Fair Schedule
- Tippecanoe County recognizes Crime Victims' Rights Week
- Tippecanoe County 4-H Fair names Supreme Showman
- Tippecanoe County fair starts Saturday, July 20th
- Tippecanoe County Fair holds 4-H auction
- New Amenities Welcome Fair-goers at Tippecanoe County Fair
- Family displaced in Tippecanoe County house fire
- Grand Champion Gilt and Barrow at the Tippecanoe County Fair