WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Maggie Daniels has parked her tiny homes at Purdue, just in time for the first home football game. The daughter of Purdue President Mitch Daniels spent Wednesday morning prepping her "Try it Tiny" homes for this weekend.
Eight homes make up the university's new "Hammer Down Town," located on the corner of 3rd Street and McCutcheon Drive. Members of the Purdue President's Council can stay in the houses for each home game, beginning Saturday against Vanderbilt.
Tiny homes have all the amenities of a normal house, but are less than 400 square feet and usually on wheels. The university development office is running the homes, and will provide golf cart service to Ross-Ade Stadium for the guests.
Maggie Daniels says the appeal of these homes comes with the community feel.
"We are bringing out yard games, grills and patio furniture so folks can get the whole community aspect of it too," Daniels said.
News 18 told you in April Purdue took extra steps to bring "Try it Tiny" to campus. Mitch Daniels said the university did a full RPF, or request for proposal. "Try it Tiny" was the only company that answered it, according to Daniels. He also said it went through a formal vote with the Purdue Research Foundation, where he left the room.
"Hammer Down Town" is just a stone's throw away from Westwood, the home of the Purdue president.
"I don't know if he will need to stay in one, because I think he has alternative lodging across the street!" Maggie Daniels joked when asked if her father would consider a tiny home. "But hopefully we will get him out here so he can check it out."
The Purdue tiny homes are running near $450 a night. Daniels said they are almost sold out for the season.
Tiny takeover! �� #Purdue’s ‘Hammer Down Town’ is ready for the first home �� weekend. 8 @tryittiny homes are grouped in Purdue West for Prez Council. Founder Maggie Daniels (daughter of @purduemitch) says they’re almost sold out for the season @WLFI @GivingtoPurdue @LifeAtPurdue pic.twitter.com/hf5EBYoO6b
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) September 4, 2019
- Tiny homes arrive at Purdue ahead of first home football game
- Daniels' daughter bringing tiny homes to Purdue
- Purdue announces parking, traffic plans for first home football game
- Airbnb hosts made big money during Purdue home football games
- Purdue, UConn schedule home-and-home football series
- Economy gets a boost during Purdue's last home football game of 2017
- WLPD stay busy during Purdue's last home football game of 2017
- Purdue to dedicate Tyler Trent gate at football home opener
- Traffic and safety preparations for Purdue football home opener
- Info: Upcoming Purdue football spring game