MONON, Ind. (WLFI) -- Throw out the textbook and let's learn through video chats.
That's the message from North White High School.
Seniors, there in Mr. Stewart's Government class, use Google Hangouts to talk to students all throughout the world.
"It's a priority to practice authentic learning," said technology coach Todd Shriver.
The class met with students from Mexico Thursday.
The town of Monon only has about 1,500 people. The North White School Corporation has about 900 students.
"It was really interesting," said North White High School senior Rashana Kimmel.
At North White High School you don't need your passport to travel.
"It's been a great reception," said Shriver.
Sign up for Mr. Stewart's Government class and maybe you'll end up in Mexico.
Twenty seniors had the chance to video chat with students at a private high school more than 1,500 miles away in Monterrey, Mexico.
Students agreed it was a fantastic experience.
"All schools everywhere should be able to communicate with people all around the world because it gives them insight into what they are going through and what their education is like," said Kimmel.
"I believe this school should keep on doing this," said North White senior Michael VanWinkle. "Every school should do this not just with Mexico."
The whole school corporation is actually able to do this thanks to a grant. North White students have gone to Sweden, Argentina, Brazil, Israel and many other countries all by video chatting.
This idea started back in 2013.
"Think about how many of these kids are never going to get an opportunity to travel outside of the United States and learn about cultures," said Shriver."
Thursday's class included hot topic issues both in English and in Spanish and the students gave their opinions.
One of the more vocal seniors, Michael VanWinkle, said he's glad these issues are being talked about in his school and around the globe.
"Even if you think it may offend someone, you may get their opinion which may be different than yours and even if you cant agree with the person the least you can do is agree to disagree," said VanWinkle.
- Throw out the textbook; North White High School uses video chat to talk to students around the globe
- Amazon to no longer offer campus textbook programs
- Golden Globe 2020 nominations revealed
- Giolito throws 4-hit gem, White Sox blank Astros 4-0
- Bassitt throws 7 innings as Athletics beat White Sox 2-0
- Video shows man throwing beer cans between West Lafayette high-rises
- Indiana uses free throws to pull away from North Alabama
- TSC works to keep textbook rental fees as low as possible
- Students at Frankfort High School commemorate Columbine School Massacre victims
- Nova throws 4-hitter as White Sox net a win, top Marlins 9-1