Three families displaced in early morning fire

Fire Inspector Todd Trent said the fire started from an unattended candle in the upstairs bathroom.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 5:14 AM
Updated: Jan 21, 2019 11:36 AM

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Three families are out of their homes after a Monday morning apartment fire in Lafayette. Fire Inspector Todd Trent said the fire started from an unattended candle in the upstairs bathroom.

Fire Battalion Chief Rick DeHahn said there is extensive damage to the unit on Greenbush and 17th Streets.

DeHahn said crews were called to the apartment around 2:30 a.m. Monday. He said there was heavy smoke coming from the back of the building on the second floor when they arrived. 

Three families live in the building, and DeHahn said three people were inside when the fire started. All of the people got out safely. 

No injuries were reported, but the apartment has smoke, fire and water damage. 

The Red Cross is working with the families to find them temporary housing. The upstairs unit is a total loss and the two downstairs units have water damage.

Temperatures Monday morning were in the single digits. DeHahn said the Lafayette Street Department salted the area around the fire to melt ice.

Article Comments

West Lafayette
Clear
69° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 69°
Kokomo
Broken Clouds
68° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 68°
Rensselaer
Clear
68° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 68°
Fowler
Clear
68° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 68°
Williamsport
Clear
68° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 68°
Crawfordsville
Overcast
68° wxIcon
Hi: 80° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 68°
Frankfort
Overcast
72° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 72°
Delphi
Clear
67° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 67°
Monticello
Clear
67° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 67°
Logansport
Clear
68° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 68°
Isolated Showers Early with Much Cooler Temperatures
WLFI Radar
WLFI Temps
WLFI Planner

Community Events