LAFYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- The YWCA is recognizing 10 women who have been involved in the Greater Lafayette community. Thometra Foster is among the honorees.
"Our calling as a woman, as a girl, is just to encourage and bring people along," said Foster. She is no stranger to the Greater Lafayette area.
Foster has been involved with Girl Scouts, the Tippecanoe County Drug Free Coalition, Hanna Community Center and the Greater Lafayette Area clergywomen. That's just to name a few.
It's no surprise that she is recognized as a woman of distinction on YWCA's 2018 Salute to Women honorees list. Even though Foster gives so much, she said she was shocked when she found out she was being awarded.
"I was so surprised. I was shocked, I was honored and I just was overjoyed. I almost cried I couldn't believe it," said Foster.
Foster currently serves as Associate Minister of Living Truth of Christ Church alongside her husband James, who is lead pastor.
She said she believes it is her calling to empower women.
"I think that's my gift from God is to encourage women. It comes easy to me," said Foster. "I just like to encourage them to be the best they can, to be smart, to work hard and do their best."
When asked what makes women so special, Foster had no hesitation.
"Because God created us special. We are fearfully and wonderfully made by God and we have compassion. We love people. Women most the time when we love, we love hard," said Foster. "We fall in love with whatever we're doing even if it's a guy, with our job, with our children because we have that compassion, that nurturing spirit, and we want to help people."
As for her plans for the future, she won't be slowing down anytime soon.
"How long will you keep serving the community like this?" asked News 18.
"As long as I'm alive," said Foster.
The 44th annual Salute to Women ceremony will take place Tuesday, March 6 at The Trails Banquet Facility.
- Thometra Foster recognized by YWCA as woman of distinction
- Veronica Jalomo recognized by YWCA as woman of distinction
- Tetia Lee recognized as Woman of Distinction by YWCA
- YWCA announces women of distinction
- Sally Watlington recognized as a 'Woman of Wisdom' by YWCA
- Purdue Black Cultural Center recognized as a Distinctive Destination
- YWCA recognizes Cathy Benner in 45th Salute to Women Celebration
- LTHC executive director honored as 2018 Woman of Distinction
- Christine Sheetz honored as 2018 Woman of Distinction
- YWCA honors Sarah Johnson