LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- A downtown Lafayette bar has a new brew on tap- but is it really new?
Thieme & Wagner is a bar many may recognize, but it's offering up something new again.
The now-barpub is a small spinoff of the 1800's brewing company, Thieme & Wagner.
The brewing company was banned from selling beer after the prohibition, and the downtown Lafayette barpub was opened in 2017.
But now, it's what's on the inside that's giving the bar a fresh new flavor.
The bar officially has its own beer on tap. This comes a little over a year after opening.
Toasts were made and drinks were had on Thursday night to celebrate the newly-turned again brewery.
There were plenty of familiar faces as city officials and community members showed up to support and celebrate.
David Thieme alongside his father, being sixth and fifth generation of brewers now, launched the new beer.
David said he knows his ancestors are looking down on him.
"It is difficult but I feel a great deal of personal growth," Thieme said. "But I do feel my ancestors are looking down at me and watching over the beer as I brew it."
David said the brewery will consistently serve around five to six beers that are brewed in-house. One of those recipes being the original from the historic family brewery.
The celebration continues on Friday for an inaugural downtown bar crawl. Thieme & Wagner Brewing will be distributed at several downtown bars for crawl-goers to enjoy.
That starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Thieme & Wagner bar front.
To learn more on the history of Thieme & Wagner Brewing Company, click here.
- Thieme & Wagner starts brewing again
- Starbucks adds Witch's Brew Halloween drink
- 'Broktoberfest' begins at Brokerage Brewing Company
- From banning to brewing, Lafayette business owner to brew family beer recipe
- Couple hopes to open brew-pub in Lafayette
- Plans for brewing company move forward after concerns are addressed
- Lafayette Brewing Company celebrates 25 years on Main Street
- Purdue, People's Brewing release second university licensed beer 'Boiler Black'
- TAP for TAF to host craft brew beer fest
- Escape Velocity Brewing finally finds its new home in Lafayette