LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Veterans Honor Flight is taking off in Greater Lafayette again.
On Saturday, the new honor flight leaders hosted a motorcycle fundraiser ride to help bring back the program and fund the next flight.
The Greater Lafayette Veterans Honor Flight holds generations of memories for many in this community.
“My first flight was with my grandfather so my grandfather served in Korea and I got to be his veteran and that's when I kind of fell in love with the organization,” said Cyle Newton, the new president of the Honor Flight Board.
Newton was a member of the previous honor flight board, he's seen the flight's positive impact and just couldn't let it end.
“We have a new board because we feel there's a ton of community support,” said Newton. “It has always been about the vets and we feel there are still vets that want to go to Washington.”
The Greater Lafayette honor flight takes veterans to Washington D.C. for a day to explore the monuments and different memorial scenes.
For Goldstar moms Dana Vann and Pam Mow who brought this program to Greater Lafayette, it was significant to end the program last year after its 22nd flight. 22 is the age both their sons died in active military. Now Newton is planning the flight's future take off with both moms in mind.
“They did such a phenomenal job so from my perspective it's a little scary because I'm hoping that we can do such as good of a job,” said Newton.
For community members who attended this year's motorcycle fundraiser ride. They're happy to do their part in bringing the program back.
“The honor flight is bigger than a state senator, it's bigger than anyone in our community. It's about the veteran," said State Senator Ron Alting.
“I say that if I couldn't be part of the force, at least I give back so it's my way of giving gratitude for what they have done for our country,” said motorcyclist Ryan Steiner.
“These men deserve to see the memorial in Washington and be able to afford to go to it,” said motorcyclist Barb Black.
The new honor flight board is planning on making an official announcement in August. There, board leaders will discuss their plans as an organization as well as release a flight itinerary.
- The Veterans Honor Flight is coming back to Greater Lafayette
- The Greater Lafayette honor flight comes home
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flights Will Resume
- Photo Gallery: Final Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flight takes veterans to the nation's capital and back
- Greater Lafayette Honor Flight takes off one final time
- The final landing of the Greater Lafayette Honor Flight
- Lafayette Honor Flight organization gives back
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- The Greater Lafayette Honor Flight will take off for the last time in 2018