WHITE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A fun fishing trip on the water has turned into an extensive search for a body in Monticello.
White County dispatchers responded to a call Monday morning of a kayaker being sucked into the Norway Dam.
Lieutenant Dan Dulin with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources has spent the day with six other agencies searching for a body in the Norway Dam.
“The White County communications center received a 911 call from individuals that stated their friend had capsized in a kayak,” said Dulin.
This incident has lead divers on an extensive search to recover the victim’s body. The first step of the search was shutting off the flowing water from the dam, which is run by NIPSCO. Lt. Dulin said it's not as easy as just pressing a button.
“They're regulated by different federal regulations so they were able to get approval to adjust the flow coming out of the dam. It's made the search efforts a little easier,” said Dulin.
The teams are working with difficult water conditions since the recent rainfall.
“There are some pretty deep areas along the channel and there's a lot of rocks that we're contending with as well,” said Dulin.
With more rain showers expected to come through, Lt. Dulin is asking the community to take caution.
“The conditions in moving water are always changing and if they get to a location where they're familiar fishing and it doesn't look the same as it did, err on the side of caution and choose a different activity this weekend," said Dulin.
Lt. Dulin has also been helping lead the Deer Creek water search in Delphi for 4-year-old Owen Jones. But that’s not it.
During the Norway Dam search this afternoon, rescue teams were called to Bluewater Beach in Monticello. Two people's boats overturned but they were able to escape.
We'll have continuing coverage of the Norway Dam kayaker search on Channel 18 as well as on the website.
- The search continues for the kayaker caught under a Norway Dam current
- Divers searching for kayaker near Monticello
- Authorities find missing man's kayak in Indiana river search
- Current inmate accused of smuggling drugs
- 4-year-old girl, father dead in Indiana kayaking accident
- Body of missing South Bend kayaker found along Lake Michigan
- Body of missing kayaker on Tippecanoe River found
- Indiana flu deaths reach 107 for state's current flu season
- State encourages parents to make sure immunizations current
- Current Indiana bishop named in grand jury sex abuse report