LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — It's construction season in Downtown Lafayette. Economic Development Director Dennis Carson any small roadwork you see is probably one of the city's many Streetscape projects.
"On third street so between South street and Columbia street, doing third street and doing the south side of Columbia between 2nd and 3rd," said Carson.
Planning is also underway for future work on Main Street. Phases three and four are expected to begin in 2020.
It's common for the city to do break large projects up into phases. That's what's happening downtown on North Street right now.
Mayor Tony Roswarski said several years ago the street was rebuilt from Erie to 7th, it became the first pervious road in the city.
"We used a special mixture of rocks and gravel for about three feet underneath that and that road actually drains itself and it drains the storm water and it percolates down through those different layers so we keep it out of the sanitary sewer," said Roswarski.
This year the rest of the road is being rebuilt that same way beginning where the work left off on 7th street down to 3rd street.
"It also creates a really pretty aesthetic value when you're done, those pavers are really pretty we're putting in new curbs, we're working on the sidewalks and it will have decorative lights."
Roswarski said those are all aspects he believes people will appreciate once the work is finished.
"We just have to kind of get through the pain sometimes to get to the reward and that's what we're doing."
Another large project is the Star City Crossing building right next to city hall. City leaders said construction is on track for an April 2020 completion.
- The ins and outs of downtown Lafayette construction projects
- Downtown Lafayette host OutFest
- Downtown Lafayette road construction includes new pervious pavers
- Students create new mural in downtown Lafayette
- Blind Pig Opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Potential renovations promote growth in downtown Lafayette
- 24-hour automated library opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Irish pub debuts in downtown Lafayette
- Farmers market held in downtown Lafayette
- Shepler Construction wins fairgrounds project bid