LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Purdue Crew team's annual row-a-thon is about a week away. Crew president Hannah Stefanik said this fundraiser helps out the team, but also Lafayette Urban Ministry.
"We're really fortunate to have everything we have at the boathouse," said Stefanik. "We want to kind of give back to the community."
Half of the donations received are split with LUM's Good Samaritan Fund. Crew Head Coach David Kucik said the team raised $30,000 last year.
"I went to the President and I asked do you know how much money is coming in? And she says yeah," said Kucik. "I said are you really okay with giving half of this away? And the president looked at me and said, isn't that what we're doing it for?"
The Purdue Crew team's goal is to support the families in need across Greater Lafayette. This money can help people cover the cost of rent and food.
"We're very fortunate of the existence we have," Kucik said. "We'd like to give back to the community any way we can."
The other half of the money stays with the crew team. So far, the team has collected more than $30,000 and will continue to collect donations.
"It says a lot about the athletes and also the people in the community who are willing to give so much," said Stefanik. "It doesn't take a lot of time to write a nice letter and send it out and it's amazing that we get such a great response not just from the community, but also people outside the community. I think that says a lot."
The row-a-thon is Saturday, Feb. 17. at the Tippecanoe Mall. The event goes on from the time the mall opens until it's closed.
- The Purdue Crew team is hosting its annual Row-A-Thon
- Purdue Crew rows in Tippecanoe County Mall
- Purdue Crew is rowing and raising money
- Purdue hosts annual 5k Challenge
- Purdue Polynesian Cultural Club hosts annual Luau
- Purdue Crew to send two athletes to World University Rowing Championships
- Purdue Hosting Career Fair
- Purdue hosting its annual career fair in June
- Purdue University hosts 7th annual half-marathon and 5k race
- 104th annual Purdue Road School