LAFAYETTE Ind. (WLFI)- The Builders Association of Greater Lafayette donated 20-thousand dollars to the Greater Lafayette career academy today. The money was donated by local businesses and association members all with the hopes of attracting young talent to work in the Lafayette area.
"All of the organizations and companies that want them to be successful and want to give them jobs once they graduate," said Aaron Krueger the construction and engineering instructor at the Greater Lafayette Career academy.
The Greater Lafayette Career Academy prepares students for the workforce after graduation. Now local organizations are hoping to attract some of the academy's graduates. Specifically in the field of construction.
"We thought it would be a great way for us to get engaged in our community and help boost interest for our industry and continue to support our community,” said Jay Andrew a Board Member with the Builder Association. “We wanted to show people that there are great careers in the building construction industry."
The associations reasoning behind the donation is all to attract local talent.
"There is a huge labor force shortage right now,” added Andrew. “A lot of the skilled trades through the downturn got out of the industry they took jobs elsewhere they got in to different careers so that has left a big void in the construction industry as far as the labor goes."
The money from the donation will be used to outfit classrooms and students with tools and equipment for construction classes. Aaron Krueger says, this is a great opportunity for students.
"I think local industry stepped in because they need these kids and It benefits the community having the kids from this area grow up here stay here citizens stay here as employees," stated Krueger.
The Career Academy says it already has a list of the tools and equipment they plan on outfitting students and classrooms with.
- The Builders Association of Greater Lafayette makes donation to Lafayette Career Academy
- Registration full for Greater Lafayette Career Academy
- Builders Association of Greater Lafayette bringing new program to encourage careers in construction
- Greater Lafayette Career Academy Receives $19,500 grant from Duke Energy
- Greater Lafayette Career Academy has hired all of its teachers
- Greater Lafayette Career Academy opens after years of planning
- Greater Lafayette Career Academy hosts ribbon cutting ceremony
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- Greater Lafayette Career Academy receives approval from all three school corporations
- Greater Lafayette high schoolers prepare for future careers