WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Residents living in Lindberg Village may have noticed a sinkhole forming over the past week.
Resident Bethany Martin said she noticed a hole forming at the corner of Cushing Drive and Goddard Court last week.
"Wednesday we were driving by coming home from school and we noticed there was like a hole in the road. It kind of looked like the cement was broken up,” said Martin.
She said traffic has increased through the neighborhood due to nearby construction on Klondike Road.
"I feel, personally, that that might be contributing to some of the road damage. The wear and tear on this road,” said Martin.
According to Tippecanoe County Highway Director Stewart Kline, the hole formed when a drain pulled apart from where it connected to a manhole. This allowed soil to fall into the manhole and weaken the area.
Kline said these types of things are not common.
"It could have been there from the very beginning and just slowly pulled just a little bit of dirt at a time until it finally got to where it was noticeable,” said Kline.
Martin said asphalt was used to help fill the hole, but the cement eventually gave way.
"Yesterday I noticed a rather large hole, like an actual hole in the ground and that's when I had called the Department of Highway,” said Martin.
Crews have been repairing the road since Wednesday morning.
Martin said she's happy to see work begin so quickly.
"I'm just glad to hear and see that after a phone call yesterday in less than 24 hours they're correcting the situation,” said Martin.
Kline told News 18 the work should be completed by Thursday evening.
A temporary lane restriction will remain in place along Cushing Drive until the work is completed.
- Temporary lane restriction caused by sinkhole
- Hospitals beginning temporary restrictions for visitors
- Water main replacement to cause lane restrictions on 4th Street
- Salisbury and Sagamore lane restrictions on Monday
- Lane restrictions coming to US 52
- Nightly lane restrictions start on I-65
- Sinkhole closes street in Lafayette
- Sinkhole closes 9th street downtown
- U.S. 52 nighttime lane restrictions start May 2
- State Road 26 will undergo lane restrictions this week