LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — More than 60 teachers across Tippecanoe County came together to tailgate for technology.
The event was created to help teachers find new ways to implement technology in their classrooms.
Rita Shultz, a Lafayette School District E-Learning specialist joined other teachers in leading the technology tailgate. She said teachers learning from other teachers is a great way to see what works in the classroom.
“Teachers love to learn from teachers and so we have some real rockstar teachers out there that are doing some amazing things,” said Shultz.
Teachers rotated through different technology learning sessions. Each session covered topics from using voice command systems in the classroom to homework apps for students.
Shultz said it’s more important now than ever to host these kinds of events as students are growing up in a more technology-driven world.
“Whether you're applying for a job or whether you are applying to go to college, any kind of learning that you do is so technology enhanced now,” said Shultz.
Katie McCool, a Vinton Elementary special education teacher has been with the school for three years. Although she received technology training in college, as technology continues evolving she finds sessions like these useful.
“To see what other educators are doing and what's really working in their classroom is really helpful,” said McCool. “You can go through the app store and see what new apps are up but to hear how other people are implementing it the classroom is really cool to see.”
When teacher's head back to school with their new knowledge, Shultz hopes it carries a lasting impact in the students.
“We want them to become very productive citizens and we feel like the way to help them with their education is to provide the technology that they need,” said Shultz.
Teachers volunteered their time to attend the technology tailgate. The event is annual and usually takes place in the summer and fall.
- Teachers across Tippecanoe County came together for a technology tailgate
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Tippecanoe County voter card confusion
- Tippecanoe Health Dept.: West Nile virus found in Tippecanoe County
- Tippecanoe School Corporation names teacher of the year reps
- Tourism Tailgate shows off what Greater Lafayette has to offer
- Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette invites you to 2019 Tourism Tailgate
- Teachers across Tippecanoe County 'walk-in' to show support for education funding
- Office of Technology Commercialization held its Technology Showcase