West Lafayette, Ind. — A Frankfort High School teacher is looking to make a difference for students with another talent.
Most days, Justin Seymour spends his time teaching government and history. Outside of the classroom, Justin Seymour is a musician, artistically known as BODHI.
Specializing in guitar, he wants to use his musical talents to give back to students.
Justin plans to release an album with all proceeds going towards a scholarship he is creating.
The inspiration behind the idea came when a former student approached him.
"I had a student come to me last year and she was a student that really deserved to go to college but wasn't going to be able to. The biggest barrier in her way was not having the money to be able to do it," said Seymour.
The conversations he had with the student made him reflect back on his own financial needs to continue his education.
"I remember going to college myself. If I had not had help myself from a few people it would have been very difficult for me," said Seymour.
Justin hopes to raise at least 500 dollars with his album to fund the scholarship.
He says if more money is raised, it would help for future academic school years.
"If for some reason I got a huge amount of orders, I would like to put it in a fund that would then draw enough interest to fund scholarships for years," said Seymour.
Rather than limit the scholarship to students who are pursuing music or the arts, Seymour wants to leave it open to all students and make a difference. "If I can do something, give them something, offer something for the kids that really deserve it, that's what I wanting to accomplish, to make a difference for somebody," said Seymour.
- Frankfort teacher looks to create scholarships through music
- Purdue creates Tyler Trent scholarship for students encountering adversity
- Delphi teachers created a coat drive for students and families
- Storms cause damage in Frankfort
- Frankfort holiday trash collection schedule
- Frankfort Mayor addresses wall concerns
- Shade concerns at Frankfort Zoo
- New development "revitalizes" downtown Frankfort
- Frankfort fire under careful watch
- Cause of Frankfort fire undetermined