LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- A Lafayette taxi driver was held at gunpoint after picking up one of her passengers.
According to Lafayette Police, the robbery happened last Thursday around 6 a.m. near the corner of US 52 and Old 231.
The passenger was picked up and asked to be dropped off at a new location. Once the driver reached the destination, she heard a gun cock and the passenger asked her for money.
Driver Virginia Graves said this trip was nothing out of the ordinary.
"The first thing I did when I got out of the cab was I ran to the cop and I hugged him because I hadn't talked to anyone or physically seen anyone until then," Graves said.
When a driver picks up a passenger, they are encouraged to have the person sit in the front seat and not the back. If they're sitting in the back they can't exactly see what they are doing and that's exactly what happened when he pulled his gun out.
Chaney's Magic Taxi owner Lester Chaney has been a driver in Lafayette for more than 30 years. He said he has run into similar situations.
"In this type of business, we have to interact with a lot of people that are drinking or are intoxicated," said Chaney. "Sometimes it gets a little complicated."
The person involved in this robbery has yet to be identified and Lafayette police are still continuing this active investigation.
Chaney said he will now be putting in video cameras inside of his vehicles to make sure his drivers feel safe.
- Taxi driver held at gunpoint while dropping off passenger
- Road rage incident lands driver and passenger in jail
- After police chase, passenger arrested, driver still missing
- Plane taxiing at Indiana airport slides on ice; no injuries
- Indianapolis airport sets passenger record during 2017
- Lufthansa sues passenger who missed his flight
- Report of woman forced into car at gunpoint unfounded, police say
- Attempted abduction at gunpoint reported by girl walking home from school
- Passenger jet crashes near Havana with at least 110 aboard
- Passenger hospitalized after jumping out of moving vehicle