Wave of some scattered showers & storms should pass tonight-tomorrow morning. An isolated severe storm cannot be ruled out with the main threat being hail.
You see storm develop quickly near midday, go to a line & zip on through.
Scattered severe gusts are the main threat, followed by threat of spotty hail &/or an isolated brief tornado.
Forecast soundings (a cross section of the atmosphere at a given location at a point in time...............I looked at the Lafayette sounding) show ample wind fields & shear with the instability for "SLIGHT RISK" for severe weather.
Best severe weather threat is south of us however. There, a widespread severe weather outbreak is possible with significant wind, but also large to very large hail & some tornadoes from far southeastern Missouri, southern Illinois & Indiana through Kentucky & Tennessee to northern Alabama. It would not surprise me to see a "MODERATE RISK" upgrade there if current trends in the data hold. This will be a May- to very early June-style outbreak for that area.
Here, southern half of the viewing area is still in "SLIGHT RISK" with "MARGINAL RISK" farther northward. No matter which way you slice it, our viewing area is worthy of "SLIGHT RISK".
Again, this would generally be a watch-worthy situation with multiple counties under warnings for a period of time.
The storms may zip through, but as
A scattering of showers & t'showers should follow Friday night through Saturday. Highs Saturday will only be in the 70s with lots of clouds.
Some scattered showers & t'showers may still bubble up on Sunday. Highs will run in the 70s.
- TWO MAIN WAVES OF SHOWERS & STORMS
- Heat Wave Continues Sunday
- Oppressive Heat Wave Still Ahead.....Few Storms, Then More Widespread Storms Down the Road
- Main Street closure pushed back
- McCutcheon boys tennis riding wave of success
- Some Purdue professors experience wave of harassment
- Rare wave-shaped clouds roll over Virginia
- Excessive heat wave expected through Sunday
- SUMMER PEAKS UNTIL AUGUST?........HEAT WAVE, SOME STORMS.....LONGER-TERM RELIEF BEYOND JULY 10
- Chances for showers and t-storms through the weekend