LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- Tippecanoe School Corporation officials hosted an open safety forum Thursday night at McCutcheon High School.
The goal of the presentation was to allow parents to get their questions answered, as well as become familiar with the school safety updates.
School resource officers and a guidance counselor from McCutcheon spoke on several topics, including school emergency plans and building security; both exterior and inside the classroom.
They even discussed recent initiatives that other schools across the nation are participating in, but TSC is not. Those include unplanned fire alarm procedures and hand-held metal detectors.
However, a majority of the open forum was focused on what TSC does have, which is school resource officers.
Aaron Gilman, TSC School Resource Officer, said he and his fellow SRO are there for the students to utilize them.
"I want them to be comfortable and reporting anything to us, good or bad. I tell kids I love to hear the good things too. So if they scored well on a test or they're just having a great day I want them to share those experiences with us because that's all a part of that relationship and that connection," Gilman said. "At the end of the day we want them to be happy and healthy and safe and comfortable coming to school and we hope that we can provide that confidence to them."
The Tippecanoe School Corporation will start class August 14th.
If you were unable to attend TSC's safety forum and have questions you need to be answered- click here to submit them.
- TSC hosts safety forum in preparation of new school year
- TSC to host open school safety forum Thursday
- TSC getting bus drivers prepared for new school year with new law
- TSC names 2018 Teachers of the Year
- TSC wraps up 2017-18 school year with '5th Grade Parade'
- TSC welcomes new administration for upcoming school year
- TSC prepares new bus drivers during summer season
- TSC hosts the first Mental Health Roundtable discussion
- TSC awarded STEM acceleration grant