WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- If you sit in on one of Ms. Vitale's classes it's easy to tell she's passionate about her job.
"It really is kind of crazy that this is a job,” said Lauri Vitale the finalist for Indiana Teacher of the year. ”I love that I get to come and spend time with children and have fun and learn from them."
Her love for teaching influences how much students love to learn.
"Every day after school I go home and I have a big smile on my face,” said Haley one Vitale’s students. “I am really excited in the morning to get up.”
Her passion for teaching hasn't gone unnoticed by her colleges and superiors, which is why they nominated her for teacher of the year.
"She just engages the kids,” said Principal Scott Peters of Klondike Elementary. “They are excited about learning. I had a parent talk to me just today telling me about how much their child was just loving 5th grade this year all because of Ms. Vitale."-Scott Peters
Students say, her high energy and hands-on activities are what they love the most.
"I like that she is really interactive with her students,” added Daisha Plattner one of Ms. Vitale’s students.
Ms. Vitale says she is humbled by the nomination, and that she couldn't picture herself doing anything else.
"If I would have been able to dream up my future career when I was a little kid I would have said I wanted to be a teacher,” added Vitale. By the time I figured out that education was what I was passionate about, I always said I wanted to teach 5th grade."
Vitale will travel to Indianapolis next month and give a speech to a panel of judges about what it means to be nominated for teacher of the year. The winner will be chosen in October and will advance to the National Teacher of the Year competition
- TSC Teacher Named Finalist for Indiana Teacher of the Year
- TSC names 2018 Teachers of the Year
- TSC to welcome 80 new teachers for the start of the school year
- TSC names new assistant superintendent of personnel
- Tippecanoe School Corporation names teacher of the year reps
- Indiana teacher charged with drug possession
- Indiana State Teachers Association opposes budget amendment
- Indiana awards 200 scholarships to future teachers
- TSC awarded STEM acceleration grant
- Ex-teacher sues over ousting over transgender student names