WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- One of Purdue University's very own has received an honor from President Donald Trump. Suresh Garimella has been appointed to the National Science Board.
The National Science Board manages operations and creates strategies for the National Science Foundation.
This includes working closely with the President and Congress on national scientific matters.
Purdue President Mitch Daniels nominated Garimella, who has been with the university for the past thirty years. He's been working as Executive Vice President of Research and Partnerships since 2014.
Garimella will work a six year term alongside six other board members, coming from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Utah and Auburn University, to name a few.
He said there is a lot of strategy to make sure the federal funding provided to the NSF is put to good use.
"It's important for us to think very carefully about how to make the wisest investments so that we advance the most critical priorities," Garimella said.
And he's very honored and excited to get started.
"The National Science Board was one that always felt like this jewel of the crown, you know, sort of this great body that was in charge of setting the nation's research priorities," Garimella said. "And it's kind of humbling and very exciting to be part of that body that I so admired."
Garimella will head to Washington, D.C. at the end of November for the first board meeting.
Congratulations to him!
Just last year, Garimella was chosen as a fellow to the National Academy of Inventors. Click here to read more.
- Suresh Garimella appointed to National Science Board by President Trump
- Suresh Garimella chosen as fellow to NAI
- President Trump to address nation on deadly mass shooting
- President Trump to speak at National FFA Convention in Indianapolis
- School board president steps down after Roseanne post
- National Transportation Safety Board releases report on Rochester bus crash
- Explaining the science behind frost quakes
- Tippecanoe Co. chief deputy prosecutor appointed as judge
- Governor appoints new head for Indiana administration agency