FLORA, Ind. (WLFI) - People are continuing to rally behind Carroll Elementary Principal Amanda Redmon. As we previously reported, Redmon's contract was not renewed in December. She said she was told by Superintendent Keith Thackery the non-renewal was because of the school's ILEARN scores.
Around 50 people showed up for Tuesday's school board meeting. There was no public comment, but supporters of all ages made their voices heard in a different way. Many held signs expressing reasons why they think Redmon is a great principal, others wore the black and white "I Stand with Amanda Redmon" t-shirts.
There are also about a dozen "I Stand with Amanda Redmon" signs on front lawns along State Road 18 in Flora.
People in support of Principal Redmon have started an online petition. They are hoping to reach 1,000 signatures by the next school board meeting. They are also asking people to email in to the school board members in support.
School Board President Patrick Hickner confirmed that the school board members are receiving emails through the portal and that they do read them.
Right now the Indiana House and Senate both have hold harmless bills that are making steady progress through the state legislature. These bills would prevent schools, administrators or teachers from being punished for ILEARN scores.
Senate Bill 2 passed the House Committee on Education on Tuesday. State Representative Sheila Klinker is on that committee, and she voted in favor of it.
Redmon now has a lawyer helping her through this process.
"We are working with Amanda to try and make sure that she can continue as principal here at Carroll Consolidated Schools to hopefully help continue to educate the young people here and provide them with a quality education for many years to come," said her attorney, Joel Hand.
He is advising Redmon not to speak to the press on the record at this time. He said they are exploring their legal options, but hopes they can avoid bringing this matter to court.
The final vote on Redmon's contract will happen at the February 11th school board meeting. It will be held at 6pm in the Carroll Junior-Senior High School auditorium.
News 18 asked the school board members and Superintendent Thackery for a comment at Tuesday's meeting. They did respond not.
- Support continues for Principal Amanda Redmon before final school board vote
- School board makes final vote: Principal Amanda Redmon's contract will not be renewed
- Honoring Kristi Redmon's 'colorful' legacy
- School board votes not to renew Carroll Elementary Principal's contract
- Klondike Middle School announces new principal
- Amanda McNeff awarded Woman of Innovation by YWCA
- European court orders Italy to pay damages to Amanda Knox
- Sarah Gustin named new principal at Southwestern Middle School
- New Assistant Principal at Wea Ridge Elementary
- New assistant principal coming to Hershey Elementary