WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Most people affiliate Purdue University with the colors Gold and Black. However, in the summertime, you may see a lot more orange and white around campus. It's construction time in West Lafayette, but Purdue Police say relief is ahead.
Some are quick to get annoyed but Jane Yatcilla likes to take the higher road.
"This probably is an indication that things are getting fixed or improved somehow," said Yatcilla. "So, I try to look at the bright side of things."
She's also not behind the wheel of a car. Yatcilla cycles to Purdue every day.
"If you live close enough to ride a bike, I would suggest that you look into it," said Yatcilla.
But look out for confused drivers like Purdue Alum Alex Offenbach.
"When I was here, all the roads were one ways," said Offenbach.
He's happy about the change but it takes some adjusting.
"I'm not used to cars coming at me on certain roads," said Offenbach.
Purdue Police said construction will continue and even increase in some cases in the coming weeks. However, the majority should wrap up by the time students move in.
"Some of them will be finishing up before our first home football game," said Purdue Police Chief John Cox.
Purdue student Beau Bassett hopes that is true, but he has his doubts.
"I don't think it is going to be done by fall semester," said Bassett. "For the past three or so years now, Purdue's campus has been under construction and I don't actually see it ending anytime in the future."
Regardless of end dates, the advice during construction season remains the same.
"People just need to pay attention, watch the signs, be a little patient plan ahead if you think you are going to be in a rush, and most of all just look forward to seeing improvements," said Cox.
For updates on construction projects at Purdue, click here.
- Summer construction at Purdue University
- Summer construction to begin at Purdue
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University
- Purdue University forms research alliance with university in Peru
- Purdue Trustees OK residence hall construction agreement
- High-rise rescue at Purdue construction site
- Purdue's Think Summer Program to offer housing
- Purdue graduate speaks at summer commencement