WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- Students around the country, including one West Lafayette school, left classes Friday to honor those killed in the Columbine shooting in 1999.
West Lafayette Junior/Senior High School held a protest in light of the shooting which occured 19 years ago. The protest was organized by freshmen and was approved by the school's administration.
Students were given the chance to voice how they feel about gun violence in schools while parents and community members joined in with signs to show support.
Junior Linnea Nelson said she wants students to take action and call their local representatives.
"We wanted this to be a moment where we could actually create real change and I wanted to educate people on current gun laws and what they can do," said Nelson. "How they can contact their senators and what they can do to will actually create a difference."
At the walkout, students with opposing points of view were also in attendance. Senior Jason Haehl said stripping a person's second amendment rights is not the answer.
"I think a lot of people here, they just don't want to be in school right now so they are just out here and don't really understand what they are talking about or what they are out here for," Haehl said. "We are trying to give them an alternate viewpoint."
After the protest, students from both sides came together to share their opinions. They said these discussions are the best way to solve these issues.
- Students voice opinions during school walkout over gun violence
- Mixed opinions on Purdue Global
- Arconic on Wednesday's rally: "steelworkers are free to voice their opinion"
- Harrison High School honors walkout day differently
- Victims of gun violence remembered with ribbons
- West Lafayette students to participate in nationwide walkout Friday
- Moms across Greater Lafayette come together to stop gun violence
- Lafayette community donates to stop increased gun violence
- Purdue graduate students voice concerns over pay changes
- Student with gun stopped outside Indiana high school