WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The PurdueVOTES Coalition is helping make sure students are ready for election day.
Members of the Coalition held a political action fair on Thursday at the Engineering Fountain on campus.
With midterms around the corner, organizers want to make sure students have access to information on all political views.
Members from the campus’ Republican, Democrat, Socialist clubs, and others, were represented.
They want to encourage this new generation of voters to be politically active. They also want to get student voter registration numbers up.
We want to get students registered to vote. Bump our numbers and percentages for the university as a whole,” said Dhruv Bhargava, a Student Director for PurdueVOTES. “Unfortunately, Purdue has one of the lowest turnouts from all Big Ten schools so we want to get those numbers up.”
They also want to be there for the many Purdue students who come from out-of-state. Helping them with absentee ballots, or getting them registered here in Tippecanoe County.
“What we focus on is making sure people are registering in Indiana and specifically in this county so that they can vote at voting centers on Purdue's campus, which is super easy,” said Viviana Tsangaropoulos, another Student Director for PurdueVOTES.
Tsangaropoulos said as an out-of-state student herself, she can relate to the sometimes daunting task of registering to vote.
The group hoped to register more than 100 students by the end of the fair. Click here to register to vote in Indiana.
- Students helping students prepare for midterm elections
- Teacher to help blind student
- Local students prepare for Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Indiana midterm election turnout hit 51 percent
- Startup program prepares Purdue students for the future
- Students prepare for classes at Tools For Schools drive
- Purdue student prepares to compete in Olympic Paraplegic Baketball game
- Purdue University student body elects a new president
- Students discuss diversity differences
- Midterm elections set stage for series of historic firsts