TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - Purdue President Mitch Daniels and Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb have released statements on the passing of former Indiana Sen. Richard Lugar. Lugar died on Sunday at the age of 87. Governor Holcomb has ordered all Indiana flags to be at half-staff until sunset on the day of his funeral, which has not yet been announced.
Statement from Purdue President Mitch Daniels:
“Words are hard to come by right now. Dick Lugar was not just the finest public servant I will ever know, he was the finest person. He embodied all we can hope for in our leaders: brilliance of mind, purity of motive, stainless in character, tireless in the pursuit of duty. Incomparably knowledgeable about the world, he was first and always a patriot, utterly dedicated to the security and wellbeing of his fellow Americans. His voice is now silent, but he is still with us. Indianapolis is a thriving and vibrant city because of him. The world is safer from nuclear danger because of him. And so many of us, while falling far short of the standards he set, are vastly better people because of him.”
Note: Mitch Daniels worked directly for Richard Lugar for 14 years, first during his mayoralty and then as Senator, more than a decade of that as his chief of staff.
Statement from Governor Eric Holcomb:
“The world weeps alongside Indiana after just learning we lost one of our best, ever.
As an always faithful servant to the highest ideals in every walk of his incredible life, Richard Lugar ran the family farm, charted a new innovative course for Indiana’s capital city, and devoted a record six terms as a U.S. Senator to making the world a more prosperous and peaceful place.
He was an officer and gentleman, father and faith leader, a Mayor and Senator, a diplomat and legendary role model to millions.
Janet and I are keeping Mrs. Lugar and their wonderful family in our prayers and ask all those touched by his service to join us.”
- Statements from Purdue President, Indiana Governor on Sen. Richard Lugar's passing
- Must register to attend U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar's funeral
- Former U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, foreign policy expert, dies
- Former US senator Richard Lugar visits Purdue Forestry Farm
- Ex-Sen. Lugar hailed as peacemaker ahead of Indiana funeral
- Ex-Sen. Lugar honored at Indianapolis ceremony
- Funeral arrangements set for former U.S. Senator Richard Lugar
- Purdue adopts global collaboration statement
- Donnelly releases statement on Sen. Al Franken
- Purdue president's contract extended