WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Another portion of the State Street Project is now open. Thursday's opening brought a lot of traffic.
The newly opened portion of State Street stretches from University Street to Airport/McCormick Road, which is a total of 2.2 miles.
Drivers are now able to travel from U.S. 231 to Tapawingo Drive.
It's not just making things easier for drivers. The recent opening now allows easier and quicker access for pedestrians.
Some students told News 18 how the State Street construction was a daily inconvenience for them to get to class.
"I mean it's added a lot of time. It takes me like 20 minutes to walk to class with it being closed, but now that it's open, it will take about 10 minutes," said Isabelle Wellman, a freshman at Purdue.
Freshman William Marishcen adds, "I always had to add a few minutes because I either had to go around through Memorial Mall or I had to go around all the different construction around here. Sometimes they would even close off that intersection, so I definitely had to change my schedule around that."
The recently opened portion was first closed in April of this year.
- State Street fully reopens for drivers and pedestrians
- Students look forward to State Street reopening
- Lafayette Street reopens after fallen tree blocks lanes
- Holly the horse fully recovers; abuser sentenced to one year
- State Street set to open Thursday
- Preparing for 2018 State Street construction
- New lanes open on West State Street
- State Street closures will affect parking garage
- State Street traffic changes take effect Monday
- State Street closed overnight for sewer repair