NEWTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A passenger in a car is dead after a car crash in Newton County. It happened on Sunday around 9 p.m.
Indiana State Police said Trooper Brian Runyon responded to a single vehicle crash on County Road 400 West near Morocco. The initial investigation revealed that a Chevrolet Silverado, driven by Andrew Kepchar from Crown Point, was going north. The truck allegedly left the roadway and hit a utility pole.
Police said the truck then rolled onto its passenger side and caught fire. The power lines were knocked down at the scene, which ISP said hindered first responders from accessing the vehicle.
Thomas Richardson of Morocco was a passenger in the truck. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Newton County Coroner’s Office.
Kepchar was taken to Franciscan Hospital in Rensselaer where ISP said he consented to a certified test for alcohol consumption. The results of that blood draw are pending testing by the Indiana Department of Toxicology.
Kepchar was arrested and taken to the Newton County Jail.
He is tentatively charged with Operating While Intoxicated Causing Death, which is a level five felony. The crash is still under investigation.
Below: Photo of Andrew Kepchar, provided by Indiana State Police.
- State Police investigating fatal crash in Newton County
- Police looking for witness in fatal motorcycle crash in Newton County
- Body found in Newton County
- Newton County man dies in single-vehicle crash
- Two vehicle crash kills one in Newton County
- State Road 10 in Newton County to close Monday
- Newton County blaze causes $50,000 damage
- Surveillance video shows Newton County robbery
- Semi and train collide in Newton County
- ISP Trooper catches Newton County carjacking suspect