LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Stars and Stripes celebration has been a summertime staple in Lafayette for 30 years.
Katie Vankammen and her daughter Robin say they are excited about this summers festivities.
"We're just excited to see fireworks, cookouts, and I'm happy the weather is going to be nice," said VanKammen.
The Stars and Stripe's chairman Cindy Murray says this year is going to be a little different.
"Well we wanted something new this year so we decided that we wanted the fireworks to be able to be seen throughout the whole county," said Murray. "So, in order to do that, we had to start a little higher."
The fireworks will still be Riehle Plaza, but now they'll be lit off at Harrison bridge.
"The closures will be different this year, but we're excited about that and hopefully everybody in the west side and Lafayette will be able to see them," said Murray.
The Harrison Bridge will close at 12 a-m on July Fourth. Some downtown streets will also close on the fourth at noon.
"From third street to 2nd between Columbia and Ferry street that little section from right down there will be closed," stated Murray.
She says she doesn't expect much of a problem for residents.
"So, really not a lot of roads closed we want people to come on downtown, but just enough for safety."
Murray says their goal is for families to make memories at the event and that it will be more visible for everyone to see.
"They can enjoy the food truck, the kids will be entertained, we're having an obstacle course, we're going to do some rub-on tattoos, and we'll have some zoo animals there. We're trying to make it more family oriented so more people do come downtown," said Murray.
Katie Vankammen says she is excited for her daughter to experience this patriotic day.
"We actually live right down the street, it's very convenient. First time she will remember it (referring to her daughter Robin.) last year she was asleep,"
The celebration will be at 5:00 p.m. Fireworks will begin at exactly 10:10 p.m.
- Stars and Stripes to light off Fireworks at Harrison Bridge
- Hundreds gathered for the Stars and Stripes celebration
- All you need to know for Stars and Stripes celebration
- Stars and Stripes Celebration concert set to go in downtown Lafayette
- Several downtown roads will close July 4 for 2019 Stars and Stripes
- Purdue professor finds safer way to light fireworks
- Harrison, Purdue grad Josh Lindblom named Korean All-Star
- Highlights: Harrison vs. Brownsburg (Softball)
- Harrison teacher earns state recognition
- Harrison shuts down Zionsville 47-37