COLUMBUS, Ind. (AP) — A southern Indiana teacher who left a rifle visible in his pickup truck parked on school grounds has been suspended.
Bartholomew Consolidated School Corp. officials say Mike Metz was escorted off the grounds of Columbus East High School on Thursday and is restricted from returning pending an investigation.
Metz told police he was coyote hunting Wednesday night and mistakenly left the gun in his truck.
Columbus Police Lt. Matt Harris says two students spotted the rifle in the front passenger side of the pickup and reported it to school officials, who then notified police.
Harris says officers confiscated the rifle.
Metz teaches a construction class and has taught at the school for 11 years.
The school corporation texted an alert to parents about the incident.
- Southern Indiana teacher suspended over rifle in truck
- No charges after rifle spotted in Indiana teacher's truck
- Swastikas painted at southern Indiana retirement community
- CC's Lexi Thompson signs with Southern Indiana
- Truck hauling cows overturns in southwestern Indiana
- LPD officer suspended
- Indiana teacher charged with drug possession
- Indiana State Teachers Association opposes budget amendment
- Worker killed at southern Indiana auto parts factory
- Rhinoceros arrives at southern Indiana zoo from Oklahoma