GREATER LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)— Snow caused problems for travelers gearing up for the holiday across the area. Heavy snowfall covered most of the viewing area Friday while crews have been out in full force ensuring the roads are safe headed into the weekend.
The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office says to stay off the roads unless there is an emergency.
Indiana State Police and the Lafayette Police Department told us that there have been an increased number of slide-offs today. They told us at least 13 occured Friday across the area. They have several sets of patrol cars in the area, especially on major roads and highways.
Crews will be out into the early morning hours ensuring the roads are drivable heading into the weekend. Snow is expected to stop near the 11 O'Clock hour Friday evening.
Police do suggest taking it slower today heading into New Years. With colder temperatures in the area, ice may be a concern for drivers.
- Snowy conditions causing problems for drivers headed into the holiday weekend
- Walmart surges heading into holidays
- Snowy Sunday leads to cold work week
- Winter weather causes dangerous travel conditions
- Freezing rain causing dangerous morning driving conditions
- ISP remind drivers to "Click It or Ticket" this holiday weekend
- Purdue headed to Bloomington for rivalry weekend
- Purdue's pyro problems
- Increasing Heat & T-Storms As We Head Into The Weekend
- Weekend Outlook