Arctic air has return to the Greater Lafayette area. Lows dropped below zero for much of the viewing area this morning, including Lafayette. Dangerously cold wind chills are also possible through the morning hours and may drop down to -25° at times. Today is a day where you will want to wear several layers and limit yourself to the outdoors. Temperatures this cold may cause frostbite to form on exposed skin within 30 minutes.
Wind Chill Advisories are in effect for several counties this morning.
The first advisory will expire at 10 a.m. EST for White, Pulaski, Fulton, Miami, and Cass counties.
The advisory will expire at 11 a.m. EST for Tippecanoe, Warren, Fountain, Montgomery, Clinton and Carroll counties.
Benton, Newton and Jasper counties have an advisory in effect through 1 p.m. EST.
Single digit high temperatures are expected this afternoon with a forecast high of 8° in Lafayette. Temperatures today and tomorrow are going to trend more than 25 degrees below average for this time of year. At least skies will remain mostly sunny throughout the day for much of the area. Lake effect snow showers are possible in our far northeastern counties.
Quiet weather will persist into the first part of the weekend, along with bitterly cold temperatures. However, we are closely watching a system that will arrive on Sunday and it could bring accumulating snow to Greater Lafayette. Temperatures will also rise back into the 30s on Sunday and Monday, which is about normal for early January.
- Single-digit highs return Thursday
- Lafayette teen dies in single-vehicle crash
- Indiana library gets grant to digitize records from 1800s
- DAY 4 TRIAL: Digital evidence plays key role in trial
- $37K grant will pay to digitize Indiana museum’s archives
- DNA, digital and ballistic evidence revealed in double murder trial
- Indiana teacher faces 36 molestation charges; single victim
- Candelario’s RBI single lifts Tigers past White Sox 5-4
- Pablo Sandoval singles home winning run in 11th for Giants
- Posey hits game-winning single in 13th, Giants beat Cubs