WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A sign in the door of a popular convenience store in West Lafayette is circulating on Facebook. The Discount Den has a sign that warns conservative customers about foul-mouthed employees and the liberal atmosphere of the business.
Owner of the store Matt Garofalo says the sign has been on the door since approximately the 90’s, but it is just now starting to gain traction on social media.
People are comparing the sign to businesses who refuse service to the members of the LGBTQ community, believing that the intent of The Discount Den is to refuse business to conservatives. Customers passing by saw no connection between the two situations.
“You could go anywhere, a bar and have some music that’s got bad language in it too and you bring your kids in,” said Jose Fogleman. “So I think they’re just giving a warning out there.” Fogleman says the store has never been the type to refuse service for such reasons.
“I know the employees here, all good kids who are going to school,” he said. “It’s just a little bit more free.”
Garofalo gave News 18 the following statement regarding the sign:
“The Discount Den is your friendly (and sarcastic) neighborhood convenience store that's been serving the Greater Lafayette Community since 1982. As we have for decades, we welcome anyone and everyone from all walks of life, especially those with any trace of a sense of humor. For those that have been offended by the warning sign that's been on our front door since approximately the late 90s, we would like to first thank you for at least visiting our front doorstep, and secondly, would like to direct you back to the sign where it states, 'It's not our intention to offend you, but there is a [darn] good chance we might....Enter at your own risk.' If you decide to take that risk, please enjoy our world famous Den Pop. If you are still offended, we also conveniently sell all the supplies one might need to stage a full protest. We would, however, recommend that such a protest takes place this Friday, July 13, between 12PM and 2PM where you are welcome to enjoy our "Free Pop Friday".”
- Sign in a popular convenience store in West Lafayette is circulating on Facebook
- Indiana convenience stores find new way around cold beer ban
- Convenience store employee shoots self in hand, lies to police
- West Lafayette stores talk about CBD oil products
- One shot fired in West Lafayette liquor store robbery
- Bus stop signs added for safety in West Lafayette
- A popular West Lafayette intersection construction closure moved due to weather
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Health officials warn of possible hepatitis A exposure at Wayne Co. convenience store