LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette police were called to Champs Bar and Grill for a report of shots fired early Sunday morning. It was the second time police were called to the bar for shots fired in just five weeks.
According to Lieutenant Scott Galloway, police responded to the bar on South Earl Avenue. around 3:30 Sunday morning. Bar security had witnessed a man firing two shots into the air while in the parking lot.
Galloway said there was no information suggesting an argument or fight took place prior.
No injuries were reported. Police collected two shell casings on arrival.
Hunter Rabideau lives nearby and said he heard the gunshots.
"I came outside and looked out, I didn't see anything but I was like what the heck is that it sounded like fireworks I thought," said Rabideau.
This is the second time he's heard gunshots coming from Champs Bar.
"It's just kind of going downhill I feel like, and the cops are helping it's just you can't always help everything," said Rabideau.
Lieutenant Scott Galloway said they are certainly going to try.
"We know there is no issues with the way he is operating his bar, it's just the clientele there is making poor decisions," said Galloway.
The incident is not something police are going to overlook.
"We are going to increase our presence there when the bar lets out because that is when these things happen," Galloway said.
He said the bar owner is always in communication with police and often asks what he can do to make things safer.
LPD investigators are collecting witness accounts and surveillance video.
The bar has a history of violence. In the early morning hours of Feb. 22, LPD was called to the bar for a shots fired report. The suspect, 22-year-old Keya Erves, was charged with intimidation, criminal recklessness and pointing a firearm just last week.
Related: Shots fired outside Lafayette bar overnight
Related: Arrest related in Thursday morning shots fired at Champs Bar
Lafayette police said the bar has recently added video surveillance to help with crime. LPD also provides extra patrols in the area during the time the bars close.
- Shots fired outside Champs Bar over the weekend
- Arrest made in Thursday morning shots fired at Champs Bar
- Shots fired outside Lafayette bar overnight
- 'Jeopardy!' champ James Holzhauer's winning streak ends
- Police investigating weekend shots fired near Lafayette apartment
- Purdue campus bars brace for Grand Prix weekend
- Purdue bars checked for safety during Grand Prix weekend
- Edwards leads Purdue to rout of reigning champ Villanova
- Local bars welcome football fans
- LPD: Uninvolved man shot twice after fight spills out of bar