LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Kroger retailer has suspended Natural Prairie Dairy products in response to animal abuse videos that have surfaced the internet.
The company responsible for exposing the abuse at Fair Oaks Farms released their Natural Prairie investigation videos Tuesday.
Kroger sells the Natural Prairie product under an organic private-label called Simple Truth. The grocer has suspended the brand while they investigate the videos.
Kroger released a statement on Twitter defending its long-standing commitment to the humane treatment of animals. The grocer won't continue providing any Natural Prairie products made with raw-milk until the investigation is over.
“We would like to see full accountability, consumers do deserve to know about where their products are coming from and especially what is happening to get that product,” said Rachel Taylor, Animal Recovery Mission.
Taylor said it's the organization's mission to keep brands accountable, especially a brand that claims to be organic-based like Natural Prairie. This is the first organic-based dairy company they've exposed.
Taylor is happy to see Kroger's quick response on this issue, especially since, according to her, the company didn’t respond to the Fair Oaks abuse.
“No action was taken then, even though hundreds and hundreds of outlets actually pulled them off their shelf immediately so I'm assuming they saw what happened with that case and decided to take prompt action.
Local Pay Less shoppers are proud of the brand.
“My daughter made me throw out a lot of stuff that was cruelty to animals because of what happened with Fair Oaks Farms it's just horrible. So I'm proud of Pay Less,” said Susan Hiller.
A Kroger ambassador told News 18 the stores will not be pulling the products they already have on the shelves.
Other brands that carry the Natural Prairie Dairy products are Publix, Costco, and Target.
- Shoppers react to Kroger's suspension of Natural Prairie products amid alleged animal abuse
- Franken announces resignation from Senate amid allegations
- Accused pediatrician's medical license suspension extended
- Animal abuse prevention bill passes House
- Carroll County couple faces animal abuse charges
- Fair Oaks Farms animal abuser gets probation
- Second video released showing alleged animal abuse at Fair Oaks Farms
- Clinton Prairie student receives prestigious scholarship
- HIGHLIGHTS: Clinton Prairie 31, Seeger 23 (GBB)
- A very fickle Mother Nature