LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Local kids had the opportunity to go shopping with the Lafayette Mayor Tuesday. Toys "R" Us hosted the annual shopping trip to make sure kids enjoy their Christmas.
The event gives children in the community a special opportunity to pick out gifts they want for Christmas. Shop with a Mayor has been a tradition within the community for 14 years. Over that span, over 750 kids have participated in the event.
This year, kids had the opportunity to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus. Kids picked out toys they wanted for Christmas that they might have on their wishlist. Mayor Roswarski reminds us that events like these are a team effort within the community.
"I let those organizations pick the kids and we try to find kids that didn't get picked for other Christmas shopping opportunities and try to make sure we fill those gaps whenever possible," said Roswarski.
Osvaldo Ortiz was one of the children participating in the event. He spoke highly of the mayor and his efforts to give back to the community.
"Awesome, he is great, he is so fantastic. I just can't say nothing else that's better than that," said Ortiz.
Each child was allotted $100 to spend. Mayor Roswarski said the city will continue to sponsor this event well into the future.
- Shop with the mayor spreads holiday cheer
- Christmas parade spreads holiday cheer
- Expert weighs in on online shopping this holiday season
- Hundreds cheer Indiana Guard troops heading to Kuwait
- Mayor Roswarski hosts Mayor's Night In
- Rensselaer holiday trash schedule
- BMV holiday closures
- Frankfort holiday trash collection schedule
- Holiday miracle for homeless couple
- Frankfort Mayor addresses wall concerns