TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Tippecanoe County Sheriff Bob Goldsmith said there is nothing criminal, nor substantiated in a possible threat made toward McCutcheon High School Thursday. TSC administrators said it was a non-credible threat and they have identified who made the comment.
According to Goldsmith, someone did a project about a school shooting that was taken out of context. Goldsmith said false information then circulated on social media.
The following letter was sent by the McCutcheon High School principal to parents Thursday morning:
I am writing this morning to let you know that we have reacted in a swift and strong manner regarding a comment that was brought to my attention on Tuesday. We take all comments related to student safety very seriously. In this case, I feel confident that we have identified the student/students who made the comment and have issued appropriate consequences. Comments involving guns, safety, and bullying ( even if joking ) can result in school and criminal consequences.
We did not have a pep session planned this week ( our winter pep session was canceled due to weather three weeks ago ).
Social media can be helpful and also cause rumors to be exaggerated. I appreciate the parents and students who made us aware of the comment. If you have factual information, this would be very beneficial in situations like this. I appreciate the trust you have placed in our teachers, counselors, administrators and resource officer to deal with situations like this.
I am very proud of our students for stepping up and making McCutcheon's environment as safe, caring and conflict-free as possible.
- Sheriff: Nothing to alleged McCutcheon High School threat
- Major renovations to begin at McCutcheon High School
- Laces for Lisa 5K held at McCutcheon High School
- The 4th annual Buddy Walk held at McCutcheon High School
- McCutcheon's Phinisee signs with Indiana
- McCutcheon baseball blanks Benton Central
- New security measures in place at McCutcheon and Harrison High Schools
- McCutcheon High School's "Just One Night" raises awareness about the dangers of unsafe driving
- McCutcheon eyes first sectional title since 1999
- McCutcheon spell bowl team state-bound