DELPHI, Ind. (WLFI) - Former Delphi Schools Superintendent Greg Briles is set to receive more than $50,000 as part of a termination agreement with the schools. As News 18 previously reported, Briles was placed on paid administrative leave in August and then terminated in September.
A big question the agreement doesn't answer is how things got to the point of firing him in the first place. The document cites "philosophical differences" as the main reason for the termination, but it does not address what those differences are.
There's no mention of the missing funds from July and August, which were announced the same day as Briles' suspension. As we previously reported, Briles was in charge of those funds over the summer, while the district was without a treasurer.
The only money the document does address is Briles' severance pay. It's $42,000 for ending his contract early, and $10,000 for his legal fees.
It also includes a provision that the district will not discuss the reasons behind firing Briles with any potential future employer, and Briles agrees not to sue the school or anyone working for it in connection to the firing.
Briles was originally set to have a hearing with the board earlier this week. However he declined that opportunity once they agreed on this severance package.
"In September the School Board initiated the process to cancel Mr. Briles’ contract with the School," said Delphi School's attorney Nicholas Otis in an email to News 18. "A superintendent, like all teachers and administrators, is entitled to a meeting with the School Board on this issue. However, prior to that hearing being held, the parties reached a severance agreement. The severance agreement resolved all outstanding issues between the School and Mr. Briles.
The document was signed on September 19th. The termination took effect that day. The school board is preparing to start its search for the next superintendent, but they don't yet have a timeline for making a decision.
- Severance agreement released by Delphi Community School Corporation for former superintendent
- Meet Delphi Community School Corporation Interim Superintendent Dan Ronk
- Delphi Community School Corporation working out finances
- Delphi Community School Corporation completes solar energy project
- North Newton School Corporation Superintendent dies
- Tri-County School Corporation names new superintendent
- Delphi schools superintendent placed on paid administrative leave
- Former Delphi Community Schools superintendent Greg Briles speaks out for first time since being fired
- Autopsy completed for North Newton School Corporation Superintendent
- WATCH: ISP superintendent speaks on anniversary of Delphi homicides