TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — More than 10 slide-offs have happened in Tippecanoe County due to icy conditions.
The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office said that nine slide-offs and three personal injury car accidents have occurred Monday evening. The Lafayette Police Department said they have responded to at least five slide-offs.
News 18 responded to one of the slide-offs where a car was in a ditch off of US 52 near CR 700 S.
Two deputies responded along with a tow truck.
Sheffield's Chief of Fire says this a stark reminder to stay off the roads in icy conditions.
"Oh it's horrible on the south side of town," said Alkire. "Here it wasn't so bad once we got on this side. It's all basically a solid sheet of ice. We had five vehicles over there and three of them were turned over so the roads were a mess. Stay home."
News 18's Chief Meteorologist Chad Evans said that conditions will worsen, so do not drive if you do not have to.
A link to Chad's blog can be found here.
- Several slide-offs due to slick roads
- Afternoon temp changes causing slick roads
- Saturated ground causes TSC bus to slide off road
- Lafayette water park getting two new slides
- More than 50 crashes and slide-offs reported in Tippecanoe Co. Tuesday morning
- Road closures due to bridge replacement in Clinton County
- Old state road 25 closes due to a house fire
- Cubs stop 5-game slide with 14-2 win over Marlins
- Rizzo’s slide overshadows Chicago’s 7-0 win over Pirates
- Tropicanoe Cove's plans for new slide could bring back memories