LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — An Illinois man suspected of robbing several banks in the Lafayette area has been officially charged with multiple accounts of robbery and theft. According to court documents, 41-year-old Joseph Kruger has been charged with four counts of armed robbery (Level 3 felony) and three counts of theft (Level 6 felony), theft (Class A misdemeanor) and being a habitual offender.
As we previously reported, Kruger was arrested at a Shelbyville hotel early on October 23. He is suspected of playing a role in the Centier Bank robbery on August 5, the Regions Bank robbery on August 26, The Horizon's Bank robbery on October 3, and the Centier Bank robbery on October 22.
During the robberies, the suspect would enter the bank and hand a note to the teller. He was wearing different disguises each time. Even though an exact total is not given, court documents said he left each robbery with over 750.00.
The FBI and police were able to identify Kruger as the suspect after matching photos from the Illinois Bureau of Motor Vehicles and surveillance videos of the robberies. Kruger was located in the early morning of October 23 in a Shelbyville motel. After making contact with him, Kruger admitted to robbing the Centier Bank on Sagamore Parkway in West Lafayette and other banks in Indiana and Illinois during 2019. After further investigation, he admitted to using a BB gun to aid in some of the robberies.
Kruger was still on probation for his previous conviction of bank robber in November 2001. He was sentenced to 17 years of incarceration and three years probation. Further records show he was convicted in 1999 in Illinois for aggravated discharge of a firearm and sentenced to 8 years.
- Serial robbery suspect charged for multiple armed robberies
- Serial robbery suspect facing multiple charges in local bank robberies
- Woman faces multiple charges including armed robbery
- Lebanon Police apprehend armed robbery suspects
- Lebanon Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- LPD searching for suspect in armed robbery
- Three charged in armed robbery case
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery
- Multiple bank robberies may be connected
- LPD searching for suspect in alleged VP armed robbery