It has actually been a very interesting weather day.
Big pressure drop of storm complex's (from Saskatchewan to our area) MCV resulting in a tight, strong wake low to form this morning-midday over northern Illinois.
This, with surface high over Michigan to Ontario resulted in a very tight pressure gradient from low to high pressure from Illinois to Michigan.
This funneled in damaging, non-t'storm damaging winds from the Chicago area to west of Fort Wayne earlier today.
Widespread tree & powerline damage occurred with gusts 45-65 mph. Marshall County, Indiana was particularly hard hit with widespread power outages with trees, limbs, & powerlines down county-wide.......without storms.
This wake low was key to keeping storms going into the area & them not completely dissipating before they got here.
Also the storms were so towering with that wake low in Illinois that they produced gravity waves. Those gravity waves still propogating outward. These waves are forming new storms in the area now, along with outflow boundary of early storms from wake low to our northeast & with the wake low nearby.
Think of a fish poking its head above water, then going back down & the ripples continuing to emanate from that point.
The towering storms pushed into the tropopause or layer atop troposphere or lower, weather-making part of our atmosphere.
They poke into it violently & produce the waves.
As better shear & dynamics come in from the west over the next 1-2 hours, risk of severe weather will develop.
Watch may be issued.
Multiple broken lines of storms are possible with main threat wind & then risk of an isolated tornado or two & isolated large hail.
The multiple lines will not exit until the cold front passes.
- September 27, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update: Very Interesting Forecast
- September 3, 5:15 PM Weather Forecast Update on Interesting Weather Day.
- September 26, 11 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 6, 11 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 7, 1 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 25, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 3, 3 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 11, 3 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 16, 3 PM Weather Forecast Update
- September 20, 11 PM Weather Forecast Update