LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- A Lafayette man said his age is just a number when it comes to staying active.
Area IV Agency's 32nd Annual Senior Games hosts men and women 50 years and older. The events include 27 different activities. There is something for everyone; from softball to golf, and even bingo.
Coordinator Pattie Hall said these events go beyond the games.
"Our goal is for you to start thinking about moving more and getting healthier," said Hall. "Staying connected to your family and your community and giving back."
Ken Mellady has been involved for the past four years. The games start in June but Mellady said eight weeks before the games is when he starts putting in the work.
"I've always been told that you run, you can peak at a certain time," Mellady said. "An eight-week training course, and supposedly at the end of that eight weeks is when you peak."
44 medals later, you could say he takes the competition seriously. Mellady said these events give him something to look forward. He is retired and wants others to know they can do this too.
"There's something for everyone. You don't have to run a mile, you can play bingo. You don't have to throw the shot put, you can play miniature golf." Hall said.
Participants in Benton, Carroll, Clinton, Fountain, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Warren and White counties are all eligible to join.
The Senior Games will be accepting participants from counties around Indiana. More information on the event and where you can register can be found here.
- Athletes prepare for Senior Games
- 2019 Senior Games begins
- West Lafayette football prepares for sectional game against Twin Lakes
- Purdue WBB prepares for Saturday's game at Indiana
- Purdue student prepares to compete in Olympic Paraplegic Baketball game
- Purdue's 'scientific artists' prepare Ross-Ade Stadium for game day
- VIDEO: Purdue seniors emotional during sendoff speeches
- Purdue football players attend "senior" prom
- West Lafayette tops Crawfordsville on senior night
- McCutcheon spoils Central Catholic's Senior Night