LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A second person has been sentenced for an armed robbery in August 2016 where one person was shot. Sebastian Smith was sentenced to 40 years including 35 years in the Indiana Department of Corrections and 5 years on probation.
As we previously reported. in June, a jury found Smith guilty of the following criminal charges:
- Conspiracy to Commit Armed Robbery (F3);
- Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury (F2);
- Criminal Confinement (F3);
- Theft (AM); Aggravated Battery (F3);
- Battery by Deadly Weapon (F5);
- Battery resulting in Serious Bodily Injury (F5);
- Carrying a handgun without a license (AM);
- Carrying a handgun without a license with prior felony conviction (F5);
- Use of Firearm Enhancement.
Smith had also been charged with attempted murder as well but found not guilty by a Tippecanoe County Circuit Court Jury.
Court documents say at around 10 p.m. on August 10, 2016, officers were sent to investigate a report of a shot fired at an apartment in the 1000 block of Hartford Street. A witness saw a man, later identified as Brendan Firth, leave the premises in a car with what turned out to be a gunshot wound to his chest. Mariah Marsh who lived in the apartment in which the shot was heard said Firth had been shot during a robbery.
Marsh and another tenant, Ryan Wall, said that they had been in the apartment with Firth when two males, Sebastian Smith and Tre’Velle Young, came over to sell Wall a television. They demanded money and cell phones.
During the robbery, Firth revealed a knife and it was at that time, the gun was fired and Firth was shot in the chest.
On Dec. 1, Young was sentenced to a total of 19 years: nine years incarceration with the Department of Correction, five years on work release with the Tippecanoe County Community Corrections, and five years on probation.
- Lafayette man sentenced for armed robbery
- Man sentenced in Black Friday armed robbery
- Second man sentenced for armed robbery and shooting
- Second person sentenced in armed robbery
- Kokomo man involved in armed robbery sentenced to 43 years
- Teen sentenced after pleading guilty to armed robbery
- Lafayette men sentenced for their roles in armed robbery
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery
- Woman sentenced in Speedway robbery
- Lafayette man admits to armed robbery, charges filed