LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A scary sight for much of Tuesday on 9th street, as police worked to peacefully resolve a stand-off. The standoff took place in the 900 block of 9th Street near Tippecanoe Street in Lafayette.
Police were called to the home just before 1 p.m., and additional officers were called when the tenant refused to leave. Fang Cheng Gong was eventually pulled from the home by the SWAT team and taken to a local hospital. Sergeant Matthew Couch explained the situation further.
"Tried to make contact with him, he refused, entry was made, he continued to throw unknown substances also I think maybe nails or some kind of a harder object," said Couch. "At one point and time he was observed with a long blade or sword of some sort, that's why eventually the SRT members were called in."
It was 7 p.m. Tuesday before police were off the scene. Gong will be tested both medically and psychologically at the hospital before he's taken into custody.
- SWAT Team called to 9th Street home
- SWAT team called after Craigslist meet up gone wrong
- 18th Street SWAT situation ends with arrest
- SWAT situation at 22nd and State Streets
- LPD: "Shooter interviewed and released" in Friday's 9th Street homicide
- Drivers concerned about Twyckenham Blvd and 9th Street intersection
- Powerful Rockies rally past Cubs, 9th straight win at home
- Linden man in custody after SWAT situation
- Lafayette man charged in 2018 SWAT situation
- Man in custody after Logansport SWAT standoff