LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Subaru of Indiana Automotive in Lafayette announced the start of production of the new Ascent.
With three rows of seats and enough room for eight passengers, the mid-size SUV is the newest and largest vehicle produced by Subaru.
Senior executive vice president of SIA, Tom Easterday said the Ascent takes Subaru in to a whole new market and meets the customers' demands.
"We had a lot of customers every year that wanted a bigger vehicle, unfortunately didn't have that. But now the all new Subaru Ascent fills that hole in the Subaru lineup," said Easterday.
The Ascent has 260 horsepower turbo and standard eyesight technology.
Easterday said the Ascent is built with families in mind.
"It's got some really neat technical features to it that are brand new like the smart mirror, is one that is really going to be enjoyed by people. And on top of that it's got 19 cup holders and the top of the line which is the Touring edition actually has 8 USB ports. So it's made for the modern family," said Easterday.
With the addition of the Ascent to their production lineup, Subaru has added 200 new jobs and invested and additional $140,000 into the Lafayette facility.
This year alone Subaru plans to produce 35,000-40,000 Ascents in Lafayette. Within the next two years SIA of Lafayette will be producing nearly 400,000 total units annually.
The vehicle debuted with two of the dogs featured in Subaru's national television ads.
Easterday also announced SIA will be donating a total of $8,000 to four area animal shelters.
- SIA celebrates start of production for new Ascent
- SIA Foundation Awards Winter Grants
- Crossroads Galvanizing celebrates start of production in Lafayette
- SIA Foundation gives out $80K in grants
- Recall issued for vehicles made at SIA
- SIA breaks ground on new training facility
- Gov. Holcomb to attend unveiling of new vehicle at SIA
- SIA Foundation awards $90,000 in grants to Indiana charities
- Subaru Ascent could be a game changer for the local economy
- March Madness, less productivity?