LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Four million Subaru vehicles have rolled off the assembly line at the Lafayette plant since 1989. A silver 2019 Subaru Outback was produced in the late evening hours Monday at 10:51 p.m., according to a news release.
“This is an incredible milestone for our associates and our company,” said Scott Brand, senior vice president at SIA. “We’ve come a long way since building our first Subaru vehicle more than 30 years ago.”
Subaru of Indiana Automotive is one of the largest employers in Tippecanoe County, with 5,700 associates. Brand credits the accomplishment to the work of the 5,700 SIA associates.
"The associates have done an outstanding job of adjusting to those changes, adapting to the type of work that we do and becoming proficient and very professional car builders," said Brand. "The workforce here in Lafayette has risen to the occasion. They produced outstanding quality, they produced numbers and we continue to see great prospects for the future."
SIA is the only manufacturing facility outside of Japan and produces the Subaru Ascent, Impreza, Legacy and Outback. It produces approximately 370,000 vehicles a year.
"Back in 1989 the vehicles were quite a bit easier to assemble," said Brand. "Since then, there has been a lot more technology, there have been a lot more content put into the vehicles."
SIA expects to begin production of the 2020 Legacy and 2020 Outback at the end of July.
- Subaru of Indiana Automotive celebrates its 4 millionth vehicle to roll off the line
- Executive VP of Subaru of Indiana Automotive to retire
- Subaru recalls 640K vehicles globally for stalling problems
- Subaru of Indiana exec named Business Leader of the Year
- Kokomo Automotive Museum looking for new home after 20 years
- Fundraising for 2018 Subaru CASA Cycling challenge begins
- 2019 Subaru CASA Cycling Challenge kicks off registration
- No. 5 Michigan keeps rolling with 69-46 win at Indiana
- Indiana GOP Senate hopefuls rehash lines of attack at debate
- Purdue, Indiana put postseason hopes on line in Bucket game