TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — In the contested race for Tippecanoe County Sheriff, Democratic candidate Bob Goldsmith has defeated Republican challenger Jason Dombkowski. The results were released late Tuesday night at the Tippecanoe County Building.
The tally came within six votes at one point. Goldsmith held the lead at the beginning of the night, Dombkowski in the middle, but ultimately Goldsmith at the end.
Goldsmith finished with 25,614 votes and Dombkowski with 25,351.
"These numbers were unreal, said Goldsmith. Nobody knew which direction anything was going to go, but the people I think educated themselves and they have a voice and wanted to be heard and they came out and I think it's absolutely wonderful."
The sheriff-elect is looking forward to serving in conty law enforcement wtih Dombkowski.
"I'm genuine, he's the Chief of Police, I'm the Sheriff, and we have to work together," said Goldsmith. "We must work together and we will, we absolutely will."
Lt. Bob Goldsmith has worked in the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office for 19 years and currently oversees the Detective Division.
This is big news as it has been decades since a democratic sheriff has taken the seat. Goldsmith entered the election after the primaries, saying he didn't want to give up his cards too early. West Lafayette Police Chief Jason Dombkowski defeated current Sheriff Barry Richard and Lt. John 'Woody' Ricks in the Republican Primary.
Goldsmith is an insider within the department and that's been the theme throughout the whole election. He has ran on the platforms of mental health training for first responders, school safety in the Tippecanoe School Corporation and a crackdown of sex crimes against children.
- Goldsmith pulls off win in tight Tippecanoe County Sheriff's race
- Bob Goldsmith enters Tippecanoe County sheriff's race
- White County Sheriff confirms body pulled from Tippecanoe River
- Lt. Bob Goldsmith announces intentions to run for Tippecanoe Co. Sheriff
- Education in the race for Tippecanoe County Sheriff
- Bob Goldsmith political sign vandalized
- Tippecanoe County Primary Sheriff and Prosecutor Debate
- Goldsmith, Dombkowski to debate live Wednesday
- Dombkowski wins Republican nomination for sheriff in Tippecanoe Co.
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains