WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue dropped both games in Wednesday's doubleheader against Indiana at Bittinger Stadium. The Hoosiers edged the Boilermakers 1-0 in game one before their bats came alive in game two to earn a 11-4 victory.
The pair of losses marks the first time Indiana has swept Purdue in a season series since 2012. Following the sweep, Purdue went on a six-game winning streak spanning from 2013 to 2014.
Sydney Bates delivered one of her best pitching efforts of the season to open the doubleheader. The redshirt freshman threw seven innings and allowed just four hits and a walk while striking out six batters. One of the four hits was a solo home run in the third that ended up being the difference in the game.
Purdue had no shortage of baserunners with five walks in the game but the Boilermakers struggled to deliver timely hits as Ryleigh Scott, Rachel Krzysko and Halle Hixenbaugh accounted for Purdue's three hits. Altogether, Purdue finished the game with seven runners left on base.
Bates came back in the seventh inning of game two to record the final two outs of the contest after Indiana tagged four different Boilermakers for 11 runs. Purdue recorded seven hits against the Hoosiers with Jenny Behan registering a the lone multi-hit performance with a single, a double and a pair of runs scored. Mallory Baker, Stephanie Ramsey, Emily Kenny, Madison Douglass and Krzysko accounted for the other five hits for Purdue with Ramsey, Kenny and Siena Wagner earning a run batted in each. Ramsey was responsible for scoring the other two runs for Purdue.
Purdue is back in action Friday kicking off its final Big Ten home series of the season against Minnesota at Bittinger Stadium. First pitch of game one is set for 6 p.m. ET.
- Purdue softball drops doubleheader with IU
- Purdue softball drops Saturday doubleheader to Nebraska
- Purdue softball splits doubleheader with Indiana
- Purdue splits doubleheader with Penn State
- Purdue faces IU in Red Kettle Challenge
- Purdue, IU to play twice next season
- Rivalry resumes between Purdue and IU
- Purdue completes weekend sweep, edges IU 56-53
- Purdue softball drops eighth straight in 11-9 loss at Illinois
- Purdue softball tops Northwestern 14-6