RENSSELAER, Ind. (WLFI) — A man has pleaded guilty to taking a woman hostage in Rensselaer last August.
A woman called police saying her ex-fiance had broken in and was battering her 65-year-old mother.
Police say they witnessed 30-year-old John Griffith with a knife, dragging the victim while choking her. They also say he threatened to kill the woman.
She eventually escaped Griffith. Police eventually took Griffith into custody after firing a non-lethal bean bag round at him.
Griffith was initially charged with criminal confinement, burglary, strangulation, and battery. He now faces a felony charge of criminal confinement per a plea agreement. A sentencing hearing is set for June.
The victim was evaluated and released at the scene.
- Rensselaer man pleads guilty in kidnapping case
- Rensselaer holiday trash schedule
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man
- Train derailment forces evacuation of Rensselaer homes
- Clean-up continues on Rensselaer train derailment
- Rensselaer company receives military contract follow up
- Lafayette man charge with kidnapping
- West Lafayette boys, girls sweep Rensselaer Central in doubleheader
- Rensselaer Central High School takes precautions after rumored threat
- Name released of Rensselaer stabbing victim; suspect jailed