JASPER COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - Indiana Conservation Officers are investigating the death of a Rensselaer man who fell through the ice Saturday afternoon on a private pond in Jasper County.
Police said 48-year-old Timothy Powers of Rensselaer and 31-year-old Anthony Ballone of Jasonville were ice fishing when both men fell through the ice.
Ballone was able to reach the shore and call 911. Ballone attempted to reach back out to Powers but was unable to do so. Powers was recovered from the water by Rensselaer Fire Department and was taken to Franciscan Health Rensselaer, where Powers was later pronounced dead. Ballone was treated and released from the hospital.
Police said neither was wearing safety equipment when the incident occurred.
Jasper County Sheriff’s Department, Rensselaer Fire Department, Rensselaer Police Department, Prompt Ambulance Service all assisted on the scene.
- Rensselaer man dies in ice fishing accident
- One man dead after ice fishing accident
- Rensselaer holiday trash schedule
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man
- Rensselaer man pleads guilty in kidnapping case
- Gallery: Rensselaer murals near completion
- Train derailment forces evacuation of Rensselaer homes
- Clean-up continues on Rensselaer train derailment
- Rensselaer company receives military contract follow up
- West Lafayette boys, girls sweep Rensselaer Central in doubleheader