LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A recall has been issued for vehicles made here in Lafayette at SIA. According to consumer reports, Subaru is recalling 293 of its 2019 Ascent SUV because of welding problems.
The report shows the Ascent is missing key spot welds on the "B-pillar" which holds the second-row door hinges according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The problem affects fewer than 1-percent of the Ascents built. It's being built exclusively here in Lafayette.
It was caused by improper software programming for the welding robots. Subaru is replacing the vehicle altogether, rather than repairing it.
A Subaru spokesman told CR that "if some of the spot welds around the B-pillar were missed, the strength of the vehicle's body may be reduced, potentially increasing the risk of injury in the event of a crash."
"This is why we are replacing the vehicles and not repairing," he said.
Consumer Reports recommends that Ascent owners check their VIN online immediately via Subaru or NHTSA.gov. When in doubt, ask your local dealership to verify.
Subaru said it will notify affected owners this month. The Ascent purchased by CR for testing was built before this period and has almost reached the 2,000-mile break-in milestone, after which formal testing will begin.
- Recall issued for vehicles made at SIA
- SIA Foundation Awards Winter Grants
- Gov. Holcomb to attend unveiling of new vehicle at SIA
- SIA Foundation gives out $80K in grants
- SIA breaks ground on new training facility
- SIA Foundation awards $90,000 in grants to Indiana charities
- SIA celebrates start of production for new Ascent
- Subaru recalls 640K vehicles globally for stalling problems
- Stella Artois issues a recall on some of its beer.
- Meijer fresh vegetable recall